A pet is an incredible source of joy and companionship. Along with these joys come the responsibilities of pet ownership, including: food, shelter, grooming, licensing, training, and regular examinations with a veterinarian. Those who wish to bring a pet into their families are encouraged to consider their ability to provide for the pet's care in these areas.
Additionally, pet owners should plan for the costs of unexpected illness or injury.
Potential Avenues for Meeting the Cost of Medical Expenses
- Existing savings
- Credit cards
- Pet health insurance policies
- Medical payment cards or payment plans, such as Care Credit or Citi Card
- Proactive savings earmarked specifically for pet health care expenses
- Ask your veterinarian if you can be put on a payment plan
- Personal loan from family or friends
- Garage sales, eBay sales, a temporary second job
- Your veterinarian may have a fund to assist clients with unexpected expenses
- Check with your veterinarian about whether they offer short-term promotions and discounts (for example, many veterinarians offer a discount on dental care during February, which is National Pet Dental Health month)
- Other sources of financial assistance (may have income requirements)
Tips for Saving Money on Pet Care Expenses
- Shop for pet beds, toys and accessories at discount or chain stores. Some outlet-type stores have a pet section.
- Rotate existing toys so that every few weeks "new" toys appear.
- Shop at thrift stores. Buy used kids' toys that are suitable for pets.
- Shop the clearance racks at the end of a season for pet toys and other supplies.
- Save on pet food by reducing quantity, not quality. Many pets are overweight. A high-quality food fed in the appropriate portions for your pet's age and activity level will be better for your pet's waistline and you will save money by needing to buy less.
- Schedule procedures such as vaccinations, dental cleanings or senior health exams during "discount" days or months; these discount periods are offered by most veterinarians.
- Animal Aid (Portland)
- DoveLewis Velvet Assistance Fund (emergencies at DL only)
- Hand to Paw Fund
- Pro Bone O (Eugene, assistance for the homeless)
- Spay/Neuter Surgery Assistance
- Angels for Animals
- American Humane Second Chance Fund
- Brown Dog Foundation
- Buddy Care Foundation
- Canine Cancer Awareness
- Cats in Crisis
- Fairy Dog Parents
- Feline Outreach
- Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance
- Help a Pet
- Jake Brady Memorial Fund
- In Memory of Magic (IMOM)
- Rose's Fund for Animals
- The Magic Bullet Fund
- The Mosby Foundation
- The Pet Fund
- The Riedel & Cody Fund
- Shakespeare Animal Fund
- United Animal Nations
- Akita Club of America Rescue Fund
- Berner Emergency Health Assistance Fund
- Boston Terrier Rescue Net
- Boxer Rescue Foundation
- CorgiAid, Inc.
- The Chow Chow Club’s Welfare Fund
- Dougal's Fund
- Goldstock Fund
- Keeshond Sunshine Rescue Foundation
- Labrador Lifeline
- Pit Bull Rescue Central
- PYRAMEDIC Trust
- Special Needs Dobermans
- WestieMed, Inc.