International Pet Travel Requirements

Bringing Pets into Oregon from Outside the United States

CDC regulations govern the importation of animals and animal products capable of causing human disease. Pets taken out of the United States are subject upon return to the same regulations as those entering for the first time. Please read the CDC's requirements for bringing dogs into the US. Dogs from countries considered high risk for rabies may have specific requirements.

Airlines have their own requirements for animals, so check ahead of time so that your pet meets their prerequisites for travel to the US.

For more information about these requirements, or if you are planning to import animals into Oregon to sell them, call the Department of Agriculture at (503) 986-4680.

Taking Pets Outside the Continental United States

If you plan to take your pet outside of the United States, you will need to be aware of the import requirements of the country to which you plan to travel. It is recommended that you contact the appropriate embassy or consulate at least 4 weeks (if not longer) before your trip.

  • Use the USDA APHIS Pet Travel page to find more information about your destination country's requirements.

A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, must be issued by an USDA endorsed veterinarian. Most veterinarians carry this endorsement and are able to write CVIs. If you are planning a trip, ask your veterinarian about the required documentation.

Your airline or a full-service travel agency can provide additional information about animal care requirements for international flights.

Updated: 2022-08-01 07:00:00

Sources: Oregon Department of Agriculture, United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service