After last week's news about a lawsuit filed against Nestle Purina PetCare Company regarding Beneful dog food, we have received calls from member clinics with concerns and questions raised by clients about the safety of this food. Understandably, clients who feed Beneful may be concerned.
Purina Animal Nutrition LLC has initiated a limited voluntary recall of DuMOR® Sheep Formula in Florida due to the potential for a higher-than-acceptable level of copper, which can cause health issues and potential mortality. There has been one report of sheep mortality associated with the single lot that is being recalled.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an update on its ongoing investigation into pet illnesses and deaths in animals that ate jerky pet treats. This update includes the latest information about complaints of illnesses, testing findings, and measures taken by the agency to identify the cause of the illnesses and deaths.
Tuffy's Pet Foods, Inc. of Perham, MN is voluntarily recalling specific lots of 4 lb. bags of Nutrisca Chicken and Chick Pea Recipe Dry Dog Food because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Tuffy's manufactured the product for Nutrisca.
Pet International of Miami, Florida is recalling 1500 units of 6” Beef Trachea Pet Treat because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals (i.e. dogs) eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products. Sold in Colorado.
The need for dental care isn't limited to dogs and cats. Rabbits, exotics and pocket pets need dental care, too!
A professional veterinary dental cleaning is a key component in keeping your pet healthy. Dental disease in pets can lead to the loss of teeth, as well as to serious health conditions such as heart, lung and kidney disease. This article describes what happens in a typical professional veterinary dental cleaning.
J.J. Fuds in Valparaiso, IN is expanding their recall to include all lots and products of J.J. Fuds Chicken Tender Chunks, Beef Tender Chunks and Duckling Tender Chunks Pet Food because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and or Salmonella, organisms which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Grill-Phoria LLC of Loveland, Colorado is recalling approximately 200 3.5 oz bags of Big Bark All Natural Beef Jerky Treats for Dogs because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. These bags were distributed and manufactured between September 20, 2014 through January 2, 2015, and do not have lot codes.
With Valentine's Day comes gifts, many of which include candies and flowers. Here are some of the most common culprits of pet poisonings related to these well-intentioned gifts.
Oma’s Pride of Avon, CT is recalling Purr-Complete Feline Poultry Meal because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Issues to consider when using compounded drugs in veterinary practice.
Barkworthies of Richmond, VA is recalling select lots of Barkworthies Chicken Vittles dog chews because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Jump Your Bones, Inc. of Boca Raton, Florida is voluntarily recalling Jump Your Bones brand name Roo Bites (Cubes) because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. No pet or consumer illnesses from this product have been reported to date.
Oregon has activated a multi-agency response plan following the confirmation of highly pathogenic avian influenza in domestic birds in Winston, in Douglas County. There is no immediate public health concern, state officials said, and poultry and egg products remain safe to eat. The H5N8 avian influenza virus was confirmed by the US Department of Agriculture in guinea fowl and chickens from a small backyard poultry flock.
Tristar Equine Marketing, LLC is recalling all lots of Gastrotec down to the consumer level. Gastrotec was previously marketed by Tristar as an OTC drug for use in horses, and contains a combination of Omeprazole and Misoprostol. This recall has been initiated due to information from the FDA that Gastrotec must have an approved new animal drug application to be legally marketed in the United States. Gastrotec is not approved by the FDA. As a consequence, Tristar has ceased all production and sales of Gastrotec and is recalling the product.
The Oregon Board of Pharmacy (OBP) is proposing an administrative rule that would allow it to inspect veterinary practices and other drug outlets to ensure that medications are safely handled and stored.
Veterinary professionals, like most caregivers, tend to be naturally compassionate people, but sometimes caring too much can hurt. It’s hard to remain emotionally unaffected by the trauma your patients (and their owners) are experiencing. Seeing and caring for severely injured and acutely ill animals day after day – some of which are untreatable, while others might be medically treatable but still need to be euthanized because their owners cannot afford treatment – takes its toll.
Natura Pet Products has recalled certain dry cat and dry ferret food lots produced in its Fremont, Nebraska facility. Due to a formulation error, these products contain insufficient levels of vitamins and excess minerals.
New guidelines for how to manage pets that have been potentially exposed to Ebola have been developed by veterinary and public health experts from the AVMA, CDC, USDA and other organizations.
Keep your pets safe and warm this winter with these helpful tips.
Are you considering purchasing your pet's medications from an Internet or mail-order company, or having its prescriptions filled at a community or retail pharmacy? Before you purchase medications from a source other than your veterinarian, you may want to consider these issues.
Your veterinarian has extensive education in animal medications and is best qualified to prescribe the correct medication for your pet in the right form at the appropriate dosage. There are important differences between pets and people in terms of dosages, potential adverse reactions, and reasons for use of various medications. It is important that your veterinarian is involved in all decisions regarding your pet’s medications.
Oregon Compounding Centers, Inc., dba Creative Compounds, is voluntarily recalling certain unexpired human and veterinary sterile products to the consumer level due to lack of sterility assurance. The recalled veterinary products include: Apomorphine HCL 3mg/ml injectable, Cyclosporine-E Plus 2% Ophthalmic, and Polysulf Glucosamin Glycan 10% injectable.