News

August 21, 2019

Dog Goods USA will be conducting a voluntary recall of the following products (the "Products"): non-irradiated bulk and packaged pig ears branded Chef Toby Pig Ears due to potential Salmonella contamination.

August 14, 2019

Texas Tripe Inc. of Detroit TX recalls Texas Tripe brand name products: Ground Turkey Necks, Chicken Tripe complete, Ground chicken W/bone, Shepherd blend, Chicken Pork Salmon W/egg, Chicken Blend Green Tripe, Phat Katz, Senior Pro, All-Star Bully Blend, Beef Blend, Duck-Rabbit, Goat Tripe Complete, Boneless Chicken Blend, Turkey Pork Blend, Beef Tripe& Ground Rabbit, and Wolf Run.

August 12, 2019
August 8, 2019

A review of several bills on which the OVMA has taken action this session.

August 5, 2019

The Lennox Intl. Inc. recalling its Natural Pig ears because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals eating the product and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products which are solely for the consumption by dogs.

July 24, 2019

Salmon poisoning disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs who have ingested certain types of raw fish found in the Pacific Northwest from San Francisco to the coast of Alaska. It is most prevalent from northern California to the Puget Sound. It is also seen inland along the rivers of fish migration.

July 23, 2019

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, together with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and State partners, is investigating a suspected link between pig ear treats and human cases of salmonellosis. CDC reports that there are 45 cases of human infection with Salmonella enterica serotype I 4,[5],12:i:- in 13 states. Twelve people have been hospitalized.

July 23, 2019

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting horse owners and veterinarians that one lot of a compounded combination drug product containing pyrimethamine and toltrazuril has been associated with adverse events in at least three horses. Two horses in Maine and one in Ohio ultimately died or were euthanized as a result.

July 15, 2019

To renew your OVMA membership, please login to your member account. On your account page, you will see a link to renew your membership.

June 28, 2019

Cyanobacterial poisoning is an acute, often fatal condition caused by the ingestion of high concentrations of toxins from blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, in water.

June 27, 2019

Central Aquatics of Franklin, Wisconsin is recalling 96 cases of Aqueon Betta Food (item number 100106051 sold in a .95 oz jar) because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.

June 19, 2019

RXQ Compounding, LLC is recalling all sterile human and animal products within expiry to the user level due to lack of sterility process assurance associated with the production of the Company’s sterile products.

June 19, 2019

Does your pet wear an ID tag? Is it microchipped? These two forms of identification could help you to be reunited with your pet should it become lost.

June 11, 2019

4th of July celebrations might be a lot of fun for people, but they can be downright scary for our animals, especially cats, dogs and horses.

June 11, 2019

Blue-green algae toxin poisoning, also known as cyanobacterial poisoning, is an acute, sometimes fatal, condition caused by the ingestion of water containing high concentrations of cyanobacteria.

June 6, 2019

An update on national legislation on non-economic damages, animal abuse, tethering, service/assistance animals, prescription drug monitoring programs, and more.

May 30, 2019

CDC and public health officials in several states are investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella infections linked to contact with pet hedgehogs. As of May 30, 2019, 27 people infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Typhimurium have been reported from 17 states, including 1 case in Oregon.

May 28, 2019

Norbrook Laboratories Limited of Newry, United Kingdom is recalling 34 lots of veterinary injectable drug products to the veterinarian/consumer level as a precautionary measure as product sterility cannot be assured. These injectable drug products were distributed nationwide in the USA to Norbrook’s wholesale distributors.

May 21, 2019

Hill’s Pet Nutrition is recalling select canned dog food products due to potentially elevated levels of vitamin D.

April 8, 2019

Thogersen Family Farm of Stanwood, WA is voluntarily recalling raw frozen ground pet food because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The following varieties, packaged in two pound packs, are included in this recall: course ground rabbit, course ground mallard duck, ground llama, and ground pork frozen raw pet food.

April 2, 2019

Spring is the season when people purchase "baby chicks" for their backyard poultry flocks or to give as Easter gifts, but one public health expert advises caution around these cute, fuzzy birds. The problem: Baby poultry carry salmonella bacteria that can cause serious illness.

April 1, 2019

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company is voluntarily recalling a limited amount of Muse wet cat food Natural Chicken Recipe in Gravy in three-ounce cans. The product could contain rubber pieces that are translucent yellow with a blue backing, which may present a potential choking hazard.

March 26, 2019

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is cautioning pet owners not to feed their pets three lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products raw dog food after samples from these lots tested positive for Salmonella.

March 26, 2019

Every year, approximately 4.7 million people in the US are bitten by dogs, with children between the ages of five and nine the most likely to be bitten. Seventy percent of fatal dog bite cases involve children.

Pages