Sponsored by a grant from Hill's Pet Nutrition, the OVMA booth at the recent Oregon State Fair focused on the health issues faced by overweight pets and animals.
Thank you to all who visited the OVMA booth at the Oregon State Fair and to those who entered our "Too Big to Miss" contest.
Questions & Answers
The questions and correct answers are:
- Giving an ounce of cheddar cheese to a 20 pound dog is the equivalent of a human eating how many hamburgers?
- What is the ideal range of body fat for a dog or cat?
- Name one “people food” that the ASPCA recommends you avoid giving to your pet.
Several answers accepted: chocolate, coffee, alcohol, avocado, macadamia nuts, grapes, raisins, yeast dough, undercooked meat, undercooked eggs, bones, xylitol, onions, garlic, chives, milk, salt
- To stay healthy and fit, rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas should be fed a diet consisting mostly of what food?
Grass hay or timothy hay
- Who is best qualified to give you advice about what to feed your pet to ensure it is healthy and fit?
Grand Prize Winner
- Darren Garbutt, Oregon City
Darren and his Boston Terriers, Lola (pictured) and Maximus, are the winners of $100 of pet food from their veterinarian, Dr. Robert Alford of Companion Pet Clinic, Clackamas.
First Prize Winners
The four 1st prize winners will each receive healthy treats and/or toys (value: $20) for their pets:
- Ashley Brady, Salem
Dogs: Missy & Elliott; Cats: Caspian & Andy
- Lee Greer, Portland
- Kathryn Scott, Toledo
Dogs: Dobby & Dandy; Cats: Lucy, Moonshine, Stormy & Cheetos; Rabbits
- Catherine Buckner, Grande Ronde
Dog: Sparky; Goat: Zipper
Congratulations to all the winners!